FULL TIME - ENGINEERING
Posted: 3 weeks ago
The Technical Writer writes service, operator and maintenance manuals for equipment and provides these documents to customers. This role informs operators and service technicians, of operating principles, troubleshooting and repair procedures for all functions of each model. This role is required to interpret hydraulic and electrical schematics, parts book drawing, harness drawings, prints and other documents.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Study schematics to further understand machine operation; analyze machines to divide into the appropriate manual sections; analyze circuits to determine the best troubleshooting circuit method; consult with engineers to gain system understanding (knowledge). Consults with service department personnel to learn of issues pertinent to machine service.
- Create drawings and diagrams to be placed in manuals; locate needed information from parts books, prints and solid models; take and edit digital photographs as needed.
- Edit and convert materials to be used in manuals; draft text to explain how systems operate and detail troubleshooting practices; draft repair procedures.
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material/manuals to be more readable and easier to follow.
- Effectively manages multiple projects and timelines.
- Prepare manuals for final publication.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Writing, Technical or General.
5 years’ experience in Writing, Technical, Publication or similar field including photography; and/or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Mathematical Skills: High skills with ability to work with mathematical concepts and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Computer Skills: Ability to operate a personal computer and proficiently operate the software programs of Framemaker, Adobe Photoshop, basic AutoCAD, Solid Works, Adobe Illustrator and digital camera software components.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to write detailed troubleshooting procedures using a logical, common sense approach.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, technical writing techniques, technical terms and manual styles.
- Demonstration of strong written communication skills; ability to understand and effectively communicate, through writing, technical information about equipment; ability to explain complicated information in simple terms that is easily understandable to readers.
- Ability to understand how equipment works by observing and operating the equipment; ability to develop technical manuals based on observation and operation; knowledge in, and using the technical information available on the machine.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the operation of digital cameras.
- Ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness with customers and peers.
- Ability to work independently.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.